Baobab Oil (Adansonia digitata) is cold-pressed from the seeds of Baobab fruit. The Oil has a golden colour and a slightly nutty aroma.
Where does Baobab oil come from?
Baobab Trees are native to Africa, mainly Madagascar, but can also be found in Australia. Every part of the tree was traditionally used in medicine, as food and to make household items and clothing. The soft fibrous wood of the trunk stores water in dry times and it’s used by natives to provide drinking water through harsh times. That is why the Baobab Tree is called ‘ The Tree of life ‘.
Are there any nutrients or skin benefits in Baobab Oil?
Baobab is packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals providing amazing all-around skincare benefits.
The main nutrient compounds in Baobab Oil are Fatty Acids (Omega 3, 6, and 9). Baobab Oil also contains Vitamin A, C, E, F and Calcium, Hyraluronic Acid, Tannic Acid and Phytosterols.
Breakdown of Fatty Acids:
- Omega 3 – Linolenic acid (0.2 – 3%)
- Omega 6 – Linoleic acid (25 – 37%)
- Omega 9 – Oleic Acid (23 – 44%)
- Palmitic acid (18 -30%)
- Stearic acid (1.5 – 6%)
Vitamins and Acids in Baobab Oil:
Other nutritious components are Alfa and Beta Carotenes (which converts to retinol – Vitamin A). Both act as antioxidants to repair skin damage and fight against the development of cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
- Vitamin C helps protect cells from free radicals and UV light damage to the skin. It is required for reducing signs of ageing and collagen production in the skin, thus reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Skin tone seems to be more even, and darker skin patches called hyperpigmentation are lightened up.
- Vitamin E supports the body’s immune system and the regeneration of skin cells. It also reduces inflammation and creates a glowing, more youthful-looking complexion.
- Calcium found in Baobab oil helps your skin to produce sebum, a natural skin-coating substance. Sebum helps skin to maintain its moisture and provides support for dry, damaged, and unhealthy skin prone to itching, eczema and psoriasis. Naturally, most calcium in the skin is found in the outer layer of the epidermis.
- Hyaluronic Acid protects the skin. It greatly reduces the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles while also retaining moisture. Skin appears plumper and smoother.
- Tannic Acid (or Tannins) helps to reduce redness and inflammation, controls cell damage and keeps harmful free radicals at bay. It acts as a natural astringent, which helps to remove excess oil from pores and it also has antimicrobial properties.
- Phytosterols are another great compound in Baobab oils as they protect cell membranes and provide strong UV- protection by reducing photosensitivity and premature ageing.
- Linoleic Acid (also known as Omega 6 or Vitamin F) helps to protect skin against air pollutants, free radicals, and UV rays. It provides moisture and elasticity to the skin without weighing it down.
- Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) causes healthy skin peeling and renewal and helps to keep pores clear. Overall, it assists in the creation of a well-restored and bright complexion.
- Oleic Acid has restorative properties, which penetrate deeply into the skin and lock in its moisture. It is used for dry and mature skin to improve its texture and elasticity.
- Palmitic Acid is a fatty acid that acts as an emollient and surfactant helping skin retain its moisture and to lift impurities and dirt from the skin.
- Stearic Acids is another emollient found within the nutrients of Baobab oil that helps to soften, hydrate and smooth the skin. They also help strengthen the skin barrier and provide a cooling sensation on the skin. Stearic Acid in our soap bars hardens the soap and creates a rich, smooth and velvety lather giving you a luxurious and comfortable feeling.
Which skincare is Baobab oil suitable for?
Baobab oil is extremely versatile and has exceptionally easy skin absorption. Baobab oil is ideal for cosmetic applications from face creams, soaps, moisturising lotions, skincare products, massage, bath and body oils, shampoos, conditioners, sun care and anti-ageing creams.